Us

Us

Thursday, November 25, 2010

How To Cook A Pumpkin

On Wednesday afternoon, Matthew was "i"-chatting with his twin brother, when I over heard my sister-in-law say, "Tell Tab I checked her blog on how to make a pumpkin." I quickly jumped in front of the camera, hoping to share my knowledge on how to make a pumpkin! This may seem odd, but you have to understand, my sister in-law Micah is a great cook, and baker, she scrapbooks, sews, (like really well), and she also knits or crochets (I am not sure which, but which ever it is she does a bang up job, and makes the most adorable hats!). In case you are not getting it, Micah can do EVERYTHING... I  was excited to be able to tell her how to do something!  Too bad, she was already more then half way through the process of making her pumpkin, because she was doing it the wrong way! (ok, there really isn't a wrong way to make a pumpkin, but there is definitely an easy, and a hard way, and poor Micah was doing it the hard way.) The hard way, which Micah found online, said something about peeling the pumpkin, cut into chunks and boil it. Blah, blah. This is way too much work, and I can't imagine that the pumpkin taste half as good as it does when you make pumpkin the "right way." So Micah, I apologize for not having anything on my blog on how to make a pumpkin, and please, next time just call me!


Baked Pumpkin

Cut pumpkin in half, and scoop out the seeds, and "stringy stuff". (save the seeds if you like roasted pumpkin seeds). Lightly grease a cookie sheet (one with edges), and place pumpkins face down.

Cut a few slits in the top.

Bake at 350 for about an hour or so, until the pumpkin is super soft when poked with a fork.

Scoop out pumpkin from skin.

The best part about this recipe? Your house will smell so good! A few weeks ago I made pumpkin and my husband randomly said: "I love when you bake pumpkin. It smells so amazing!".

Note: if you have extra pumpkin, you can freeze it. I suggest measuring it out in cup size portions so that way you know exactly how much if frozen.
Micah- I hope that you will try this recipe, I really don't think that you will be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! Next time I will call! I forgot to tell you Thursday, but I ran out of room in the pot I was cooking the pumpkin so I put the last big piece in the oven like you said and it was a lot easier. Would have saved my hands from being pumpkin stained for a few hours too. So, if your pumpkin is too big for the baking sheet, do you just cut it into a few big pieces and arrange it to fit?
    The pumpkin did still turn out well, but I will definitely be using your method next time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micah,
    Yeah, or use more then one sheet... but usually because of the shape of the pumpkin you will have to cut it into several pieces.

    ReplyDelete